Every animal deserves to have a healthy life and to be loved and cared for. At Lort Smith, we heal, we shelter, we recognise the bond with our companion animals and we will never give up on an animal capable of being rehomed. We aspire to provide world-class animal healthcare and wellbeing –regardless of peoples’ financial circumstances.
As our community grows, it is important for us to keep growing too. Lort Smith’s ‘Our Future Is In Your Hands’ Capital Campaign will ensure we are able to continue to provide exceptional care and support for animals, their carers and those in our community who need it most.
Our Stay and Grow Vision
Lort Smith has reached a critical point in its operations. The demand for our services continues to grow and our current physical facilities are pushed to their limits. We need to enhance and expand our services to ensure Lort Smith can continue to help animals and their carers, as well as the vulnerable and disadvantaged members of our community.
Our Stay and Grow Strategy has a vision for two significant projects which will enable us to continue to champion the human-animal bond well into the future; for our next 85 years and beyond.
To STAY, we are planning to redevelop our existing site and will:
- Build new and improved facilities which will allow us to expand our emergency and surgical services, providing better and more complex veterinary care
- Invest in veterinary research and extend our knowledge and capabilities in animal health and wellbeing
- Build strong foundations for our future by maximising our expertise and expanding the range of services we provide to a broader market.
To GROW, we are building a new site in Campbellfield which will:
- Improve facilities for animals in our Adoption Centre
- Provide funding to increase our support for people in crisis
- Provide investment for our Pet Therapy and community outreach services
- Help reduce surrenders through behavioural support and affordable vet care.
The ‘Our Future Is In Your Hands’ Capital Campaign will enable us to succeed in our bold plans, and will make our Stay and Grow ambition, a reality.
Philanthropy has been fundamental in helping Lort Smith deliver its mission. It was only through the generosity of Lady Lyle, who donated £5,000 to build the hospital in 1936, that Lort Smith became a reality. More than 85 years on from its humble beginnings, Lort Smith still stands proudly on its original site in North Melbourne. It is still supported each year from the Estate of Louisa Lort Smith and countless other donors and bequestors.
With your help we can shape the next 85 years. Our Future Is In Your Hands.