WHAT TO DO
- You should then seek veterinary attention as soon as possible to ensure no foreign body remains and there is no significant damage to the eyeball requiring further treatment.
- Some other diseases of rabbits can cause conjunctivitis. If your rabbit has problems in both eyes seek veterinary attention immediately.
WHAT IS IT?
Redness, irritation causing discomfort
- Holding eye closed
- Eye discharge
- Scratching at eye
- Enlarge eye
- Swollen eyelids
- Eye colour changes
- These are often caused by foreign bodies or objects getting into the eye causing scratching and irritation.
- Corneal Ulcer
- Flush the eye warm salty water- 1 teaspoon of salt per litre is tear concentration. If you have a syringe handy you can use this to gently flush under the eyelid this may in some cases dislodge a foreign body.
- Pain relief
- Eye ointments (anti-bacterial)