- If your pet has ingested paracetamol, contact your veterinarian immediately and take your pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
- Do not induce vomiting unless your vet instructs you to. Vomiting should only be induced in asymptomatic animals and should never be induced in animals experiencing difficulty breathing.
- Rapid breathing
- Difficulty breathing/obvious respiratory distress
- Blue-tinged mucus membranes due to poor oxygenation
- Yellow-tinged mucus membranes due to liver failure
- Chocolate or muddy brown mucus membranes
- Swelling of the face and/or paws
EFFECTS OF TOXICITY
Paracetamol causes damage to liver and kidney cells. It is also metabolised to other molecules that damage red blood cells.
Your vet may administer a drug to limit the severity of damage. Intensive monitoring, intravenous fluids, oxygen, administration of medications, the use of activated and even blood transfusions may be required. If possible, provide the packaging of the product ingested to your veterinarian to aid in determination of the toxin and dose received. These medications often contain additional ingredients such as codeine which may contribute to clinical signs.
Bough M (2011) Food-Associated Intoxications. In: Small Animal Toxicology Essentials ed. RH Poppenga and SM Gwaltney-Brant. London: Wiley-Blackwell. Pp217-218.BSAVA (2012) BSAVA/VPIS Guide to Common Canine and Feline Poisons. Gloucester: BSAVA.