- If eaten by a small dog (<5kg), contact your veterinarian.
- Your veterinarian may instruct you to induce vomiting, however, do not induce vomiting unless instructed to.
- For larger dogs, a watch and wait approach is acceptable. If a dog is known to have eaten a sachet of silica gel, feeding it a high fibre diet may hasten elimination of the product. If any clinical signs develop or you suspect there could be a bowel obstruction, contact your veterinarian.
Not toxic but can be harmful.
In the event of a gastrointestinal obstruction, signs are likely to appear within hours to days of ingestion.
- Abdominal pain
EFFECTS OF TOXICITY
Silica gel is not thought to be toxic, but it can cause an obstruction if ingested by a small dog.
BSAVA (2012) BSAVA/VPIS Guide to Common Canine and Feline Poisons. Gloucester: BSAVA.