- If your pet is unwell following ingestion of fertilizer, seek veterinary attention immediately.
- If possible, bring the product packaging with you to enable your veterinarian to determine the potential toxins involved.
Clinical signs occurwithin 2-10 hours of ingestion.
- Skin rashes
- Generalised itching
EFFECTS OF TOXICITY
Fertilisers usually contain a combination of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium derived from bone, canola or fish meal. Some fertilisers have high iron levels which can cause intoxication. Some fertilisers contain calcium cyanamide (CCaN2) which can cause more severe irritation and systemic signs.
Veterinary care may consist of decontamination (inducing vomiting or flushing the stomach), intravenous fluids and symptomatic care such as anti-emetics.
Mostrom M (2011) Miscellaneous toxicants. In: Small Animal Toxicology Essentials ed. RH Poppenga and SM Gwaltney-Brant. London: Wiley-Blackwell. Pp285-299.