- Contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Your veterinarian may instruct you to induce vomiting, however, do not induce vomiting unless instructed to. Vomiting should never be induced in tremoring, seizuring or comatose animals.
- Animals should be confined to prevent injury, and kept warm as alcohol predisposes to hypothermia.
Toxicity depends on the amount and concentration of alcohol ingested. Isopropanol is more toxic than ethanol.
Alcohol is absorbed rapidly into the bloodstream with typical onset of signs 30-60 minutes following ingestion.
- Animal appears “drunk”
- Alcohol on the breath
- Initial excitation/hyperactivity followed by depression
- Incoordination/inability to stand
- Difficulty breathing
EFFECTS OF TOXICITY
Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. It is also an irritant to skin, eyes and mucus membranes.
Seizure control may be required. Intravenous fluids may be provided in dehydrated patients.