Hi everyone, my name is Ponyo
I was transferred to Lort Smith from another pound. While you cannot see it in the my picture, I’m missing my tail. Sadly I sustained an injury and it had to be amputated. But never fear, it hasn’t slowed me down one bit and it adds to my uniqueness.
I am an entertaining playful girl, with a slightly cheeky side. I really do think that is why everyone loves me here at Lort Smith.
I am a lover of toys – balls and string are my favourites. And boy do I love pats and brushes! I like to always look my best.
I adore companionship. If I sound like the girl for you, please come and say hello!
Adopting an animal
Adopting an animal is a rewarding experience that will last a lifetime. But before you adopt a pet please take some time to consider the commitment you are about to make. Sometimes the excitement of pet ownership can overshadow factors that should be considered before adoption.
Adopting a shelter pet is a lifelong decision that will have a major impact to your normal, everyday life. Please remember that a cat or dog can live for up to 20 years and they will rely only on you for their wellbeing for their entire life.
- Do I have time to exercise the dog every day?
- Do I have time for puppy pre-school and time to socialise a puppy?
- Do I have at least an hour every day to spend with my cat?
- Do I have time for obedience training?
- If renting, does the landlord permit pets?
- Is the backyard big enough and is the fencing secure?
- Does the whole family want a pet?
- Will the pet be allowed inside?
- Will I have to move interstate or overseas in the foreseeable future?
- Will I have to move to another rental property where the landlord may not allow pets.
Pets are a lifelong monetary commitment, you will need to factor in:
- Weekly animal food bills and necessities
- Yearly council registration
- Monthly medications like heart worm/intestinal worm and flea treatments
- Annual vet visits for vaccinations and check ups
- Unexpected vet bills due to accidents or medical conditions
- Ongoing grooming
- Boarding fees for human holidays
- Enrichment like training, toys etc