- Adult dogs (over six months) $350
- Puppies (under six months) $450
- Senior dogs (seven years and over) $Voluntary contribution
- Two-for-one co-dependent adult dogs $350
- Adult cats (over six months) $110
- Kittens (under six months) $210
- Senior cats (seven years and over) $Voluntary contribution
- Two-for-one co-dependent adult cats $110
Purebred cats and kittens - see staff as prices may vary.
- Rabbits, Guinea Pigs & Ferrets $65
- Cockatoos and Parrots $95
- Cockatiels $30
- Budgies and Canaries $25
What does the adoption fee include?
- Treatment for intestinal worms and fleas
- Heart worm (dogs) or FIV (cats) testing for animals over six months
- A 14-day health guarantee for shelter related issues
- Adoption booklet
Why do we charge a fee?
Lort Smith is a not for profit charity that relies on donations from the community to provide help to animals that need it most. The adoption fees we charge go towards caring for the animals whilst in the shelter as well as desexing, microchipping and protecting against parasites. Some animals also require major surgery and foster care before they can be adopted. Adopting an animal from Lort Smith costs a lot less than buying an animal from a breeder or pet store, and in fact many other animal shelters. The fees do not cover the cost of running our shelter which runs at over a million dollars loss each year. This is one of the reasons Lort Smith actively fundraises in the community. All donations to our shelter are greatly appreciated and any donation over $2 is tax deductible. If you would like to make a donation, click here.
Want to adopt?
You can view the animals we have available for adoption, or come and visit them at the shelter.